Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Pancreatitis and other stuff

Well, it's my 5th night in the hospital, away from my baby for the first, and hopefully, last time in a long time. Friday morning I came in for a scheduled gall bladder removal. I had begun an attack Christmas evening at 11:45 and the pain never subsided. I arrived at the hospital only to find out that I had a blocked bile duct due to a rogue gall stone and had since developed pancreatitis. EXTREMELY, EXCRUCIATINGLY, AGONOZINGLY painful...did I mention it hurts? I hope I never bear this again. I had only hoped I would be here through half the day Friday and possibly overnight, here it is night number 5. I had an elevated white blood cell count yesterday which was cause for concern and needed a CT scan to determine if there was anything else underlying. Nothing other than confirmed pancreatitis. I've had to rest my pancreas with a clear liquid diet. Let me define clear liquid diet...that's jello in every flavor imagineable, decaf tea or coffee, and any type of gross, salty broth you can think of. Gradually, I'll be able to eat more. Tomorrow they'll run more bloodwork and I'll hopefully be able to go home and celebrate New Year's with Todd and Rowan on the couch or in my own bed! Thank goodness for Todd and Grandma, Dad, and Dianne, and Uncle Craig and Aunt Amanda who have helped take care of Rowan, Millie and the cats in my absence. I hate being away from her and know she won't possibly remember this. I'm also thankful that Rowan takes a bottle so well. I hope she'll return to breastfeeding just as well too. I'm awake, with a throbbing back, writing this thinking that I hope and pray 2009 is healthy and happy!

No comments:

Rowan's Binky

Rowan's Binky
Should I suck on my binky or my thumb?