Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's been how long?

Seriously, maybe blogging isn't for me? I'm not good at it. You'd think with the link to this blog stamped below my email that I'd feel some accountability to keep up with it but I don't. Here it is, September 1st, and I haven't blogged since May. I do have a good reason or two...or should I say, excuse? This blog is in honor of Sara L...seriously the best blogger I know. Her blogs always flow, I can always relate and best of all, she's a regular.
Have I mentioned how fortunate I am to have my summers off (don't worry, I pay for it between August and May!)? We were able to: travel to San Diego for my cousin's wedding, sleep in, come and go as I pleased, develop a nap regime with Ro, and watch her grow right before my eyes. Rowan has done quite a bit since that last blog. Here's some of the highlights...she cut herself off from breastfeeding and I just now am weaning myself from pumping, she army crawled, pulled herself up, began to cruise, crawled regularly...rough knees now and all, FINALLY broke 2 bottom teeth, is just beginning to stand briefly unsupported AND beginning to hold her own bottle. I can't believe that on Thursday she'll be 11 months old. It seems so strange how much time has passed.
Speaking of time, I've become a little sad about how much time flies by. I can definitely understand now why people intentionally make the decision to have their children so close in age. I used to think it was crazy but I get it now. I was a little depressed when Rowan stopped breastfeeding...then again when I packed up her little, tiny baby clothes...then again at the thought of her transitioning to whole milk (why? so weird, I know)...and then again at the thought of her giving up the bottle and binky. I know there's so many new things that outweigh all the helplessness of having a tiny baby but it's a little sad to leave this behind and really, a little bit of a relief too.
Have I mentioned how thankful I am for other things though? I'm so thankful for our daycare provider, Sandy. Rowan loves her. First thing in the morning, Rowan reaches out for her and when I pick her up in the afternoon, she's excited to see me but then climbs down to crawl back to the other kids and Sandy. I'm so glad she's happy there. It makes leaving her that much easier. I'm also thankful for ear tubes. They've been a blessing...so far...everyone knock on wood, okay? She was healthy all summer and the cold she had recently was fast moving. I'm also thankful for being a working mom. I sometimes want my cake and eat it too. I complain about not being able to stay at home with her and then I realize what a better mother I am for working. I'm able to fulfill my need to interact with other adults and be a productive person...plus, I secretly love middle schoolers. I enjoy my time with her much more when I've worked and get to see her at the end of the day. I'm able to appreciate her (and Sandy).
I'm looking forward to the 3 day weekend coming up. It's really hard to believe that this time last year I was put on bed rest and was anxiously anticipating Rowan's arrival. Now, I'm preparing all the details of a humongous 1st birthday bash. Here are some pictures from over the summer of Miss Ro and Todd and I. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kelly Dunn said...

Megan, what a great blog entry! I can imagine all the emotions of watching Rowan grow up. You are such a great mother and she is lucky to have you and Todd! Keep in touch. Love, Kelly

Kyle Luke said...

You're so funny . . . this was a great post! Is it weird that it made me teary . . . then again, everything is making me teary lately. :)

Rowan's Binky

Rowan's Binky
Should I suck on my binky or my thumb?